Webcam Madrid - The Metropolis building
See on webcam The Metropolis building and watch the weather in Madrid
About webcam "The Metropolis building" in Madrid
After La Unión y el Fénix purchased the land in 1905, they began an international competition for the opportunity to design their building. Among French and Spanish architects Jules and Raymond Fieri won, after which the work began in 1907. For its construction, five houses had to be demolished between two streets: Calle de Alcalá and Calle del Caballero de Gracia. At that time, Gran Via was still at the design stage. In 1910 the construction was completed, and on January 21, 1911 the building was opened. In 1972, Metrópolis Seguros purchased this building, and the previous owner decided to take with him an original statue, by that time very well known on the horizon of Madrid, to his new headquarters. This original statue, which used to be on the top of the building, was portrayed by the mythological Phoenix and Ganymede sitting on their wing. Currently, it is demonstrated in the gardens around the building of Mutua Madrileña, Paseo de la Castellana No. 33. Metrópolis Seguros has made great efforts to rebuild the building. They realized that this is one of the attractions of Madrid, and it should be supported. This happened in a few steps, but the work began immediately after Metropolis Seguros bought the building. In 1988, the facade was completely cleaned, along with a roof, cellars and a central courtyard. In November 1995, the delicate task of restoring the windows of the main staircase was performed by original artists, Maurnejean Vidrieras Artisticas and Antonio Herraiz, SA, the task was to preserve the original appearance. At the end of 1996, the most important work was carried out with an emphasis on sculptures that were badly damaged by environmental pollution and pigeons. The original statue, which used to be on top of the dome (now moved to another office space), is the symbol of "La Unión y el Fenix". Jules and Raymond Favrier gave the building a French style of Beaux-Arts, which at that time was quite unusual. The ground level is covered with ornate columns. The columns are supported by 4 statues representing Mining, Agriculture, Industry and Commerce, made by Saint-Marceau and L. Lambert. At the foot of the dome you will find a statue of sculptor D. Mariano Benliure. The round dome is covered with 30,000 leaves of 24-carat gold. It was now possible to see the building through the lens of the web camera standing there. the quality of the picture is excellent, and all the information comes in real time.